Sunday, December 7, 2014

Avid

You know what's magical?

Books. 


I used to be one of those "e readers are for noobs" kind of people. I love the feel and smell and weight of a book in my hand. 

Then I discovered something that would forever change my literary world. 

There is an app that lets you check out e books from the library. You don't even have to physically GO to the library. You don't have to drag three children through two aisles of adult fiction before the growing crescendo of "I WANT TO PLAY WITH THE PUZZLESSSS!!!!" begins to cause a weary eye to turn your direction. 

You sit in your home or the local McDonald's with free wifi, peruse the titles gingerly, make a selection, and BAM! 

There's a book in your hand. An unbridled universe of fact, fiction, paragraph and prose at your fingertips. 

The best part? 

After two weeks, it automagically returns the books FOR YOU! No suddenly remembering it's due that day and frantically rushing to the library in your jim jams in hopes of avoiding the incurred late charge of .20 a day (or $2.00 if its a movie). 

This discovery was life altering for me because I, dear reader, am a reader. 



I get grumpy without a book. I get emotionally involved with nearly every story. I got my Kindle on November 8th. Tomorrow will be one month and I have read...aaaah...let me check my list. Because I kept a list. 

I have read 11.5 books. Not all of them have been profound works of literary art. I will admit I enjoy the written word of rom coms. 

I'm currently reading The Walk series by Richard Paul Evans (which is not a romantic comedy). And I love it. 

I've always loved reading, but what really cemented books into my life was my dad. You see, when we first moved to Texas to live with him, he took us to get library cards. I didn't ever have one and knew nothing of its mystical powers. Then I got grounded for the first time. 

No phone. 

No tv. 

No playing outside or at friends houses. 

You go to the library and you get some books. 

"You mean my punishment is to sit in my room. Alone. And read? For hours on end?"

Guess what, dad? That was zero punishment. That was bliss. I began to read faster and devour books. I remember coming home from church one day and opening the door to find the fifth Harry Potter book on our doorstep. Fresh from Amazon. Before anyone else could realize it was there, I had snatched it up a la Book Thief (minus the Nazis, sorta), ran into my room and hungrily poured over the pages. It was finished in about 8 and a half hours. And yes. I cried. Siriusly.

Too soon?

Older girl child is five and a half and she loves reading as well. I really hope that seeing how much reading means to me will kindle a similar love and devotion to the glossy words contained in each miniature universe, bound in imagination and endless adventure. 

If there's one thing I want my children to inherit from me, it's an absolute adoration for books and reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment