Saturday, June 25, 2016

My Compliments to the Blog

                                                       Thanks online chalkboard picture!

I don't take criticism well.

I take compliments even worse.

I always downplay whatever the compliment is with a fault.

"Wow your hair looks super cute today!"
Thanks, I need a trim badly.

"These little tarts are so yummy."
They were supposed to have a sugar cookie crust, but I burned them.

"I love those shoes."
Thanks! They're getting pretty scuzzy though...

The reason why I do it is because we're supposed to be humble. Humble people don't take compliments, right?

Well, there are two ways to take a compliment. Actually, three, but the above example isn't very good.

1. Accept it...and run with it.

     "You did such a good job on that song!"
Right?! I worked really hard and knew it was going to be awesome. I can't believe how well I nailed it and the entire audience was enTHRALLED with....hey where are you going?

The complimenter has been slowly backing away from the blinding light reflecting off your self awarded gold star.

Think of a compliment as a pat on the back, not a party in your honor. Some recognition for a talent or hard work, not an Oscar.

But, Kate, I'm that guy...

Hey, it's ok. I've been that guy at one point or another. Especially when I'm REALLY excited about whatever I was complimented on. I word vomit every detail about the whole thing. If you feel yourself gushing, take it down a notch Old Faithful. We can definitely be excited and grateful for the compliment without boast or brag. Make it a conversation! Graciously accept the compliment and turn it back to them:

"Thanks, I worked really hard on it! What did you think of the accompaniment?"

Voila...compliment accepted.

2. Just...accept it and give love back.
      "I really like your outfit today."
Thank you! I love your top. Where did you get it?

This is where I struggle. I feel like everything needs an explanation or a back story or an excuse as to why I don't deserve recognition. It's taken me a long time to realize this option is not the same as option #1. You CAN take a compliment without sounding like an arrogant jerk!

I promise!

I've done it!

I did it last night!

A friend of mine told me she likes my Facebook posts. That they're funny.

I'm not going to lie...I think I'm hilarious.
Other people generally don't think so, but I do.

Still, it catches me off guard when I get compliments for ANYTHING. Husband always rolls his eyes when I negative out a compliment.

        
                                            "Just take the dang compliment!"-husband
                                                                     "no."-me

So before I could write off her praise with something like "I just write down stuff that I think about" or "meh, they're ok", I simply said...wait for it...

"Thanks!"

I'm starting a little challenge to try and compliment at least one person a day that's not in my family. If you like your waiter's tie, let him know!
That girl in line at Trader Joe's with the awesome haircut? Teeeellll her.
A little kid with a cool hat or t-shirt would love to hear someone say how cool it really is.

This will be hard because I'm always worried people will give me that weird side-eye, but hey, at least they know some random girl at the grocery store thought their dress was pretty. Even if she might be a little crazy.

P.s. you have beautiful eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment